Tuesday, June 19, 2012

take time

My first post ... Yay!! Such a privilege to be apart of this wonderful blog. So I think a good way to start is to introduce myself.

My name is Jessima. I am a young Mum to 3 adorable little kiddies. My husband just graduated university last year and is a dentist. We just bought our first home and are loving life at the moment. I love to blog, take pictures and play sport. I also love to make a house a home :) I hope you enjoy every Tuesday with me as I share bits and pieces from our life :)





So for my first EVER post, I wanted to share something I read in my personal journal/blog.


It seems life is wanting to take us in all directions. Whether we are a mother, daughter, sister, aunt, or friend, we each have responsibilities pulling us in all directions. Some are more important than others, some are less important but we choose to let them take up our time. As a mother of 3 little kids (all under 4), it is easy to feel like you have no time. Most days I have a lot of time, but if I'm not focused on how to use that time, it too can dwindle away very quickly. Before I know it, we have had an unproductive day. So a little while ago I came across 10 great tips to help us "Take Time" with our kids. In the LDS manual "Teaching, no greater call" President Benson said:


We need to TAKE TIME


(1) to always be at the crossroads when your children are either coming or going


(2) to be a real friend to your children


(3) to read to your children


(4) to pray with your children


(5) to have a meaningful weekly home evening ... make this one of your great family traditions


(6) to be together at meal times as often as possible


(7) daily to read the scriptures together as a family


(8) to do things together as a family


(9) to teach your children. Catch the teaching moments.


(10) to truly love your children


(To the Mothers in Zion, 8-12)




Such simple, yet effective principles. But sometimes letting the 'busyness' of life interfere with our 'mothering or parenting', we can forget the basics and our true focus. I especially like point 9 - catching the teaching moments. I'm personally not very good at that one, but one I want to work on.


I know that by being 'present' in my kids life and even my nieces (and future nephews) lives, I can hopefully be their first source of help and also to share in their highest of highs and lowest of lows in life. TIME is precious and we need to make the most of it NOW!!!

3 comments:

  1. I love those 10 points too!! And YAY for your first post on Paint it Red :) What a beautiful family you are!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that list Jessima! And I love what a gorgeous family you guys are!

    (Wait, I just wrote exactly what Abby did... sorry - didn't mean to do that... lol!)

    xoxo Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post Jessima! Such very wise words from President Benson.. I began reading the post by thinking, 'Yes, I tried to do that, and that, when our children were little and at home..,' and ended reading by thinking, 'Wow. I still need to do all of those things even today, as a grandmother now. Even though my circumstances are different, every one of those principles still holds true for me! Thank you for the teaching moment and the reminder, Jessima! We love your family :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete