Tuesday, September 11, 2012

i am my own creator


I have this inner desire to create.

I like to do things with my hands and create things of meaning and of worth, for myself, my family and others. Not necessarily a masterpiece like Leonardo DaVinci, but to create something that didn't previously exist.

To think of yourself as a creator of something, I think is quite profound. I had never thought of it being anything simple from cooking a meal to something grand as growing a child inside of you.



But upon reading "The Remarkable Soul of a Woman" by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf my perspective on 'creating' changed. I like it when he says:

The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter your talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that didn't exist before ... Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfilment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganised matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty ...remember that you are a spirit daughter of the most creative Being in the universe. Isn't it remarkable to think that your very spirit is fashioned by an endlessly creative and eternally compassionate God?

His words are so true "Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfilment". I do always feel proud of myself for the thing I created. Perhaps that is what drives me to keep creating?

In my somewhat small time, I love to do little projects. Whether it is making a little record book of events and pictures for the children, paper craft, sewing, Christmas craft or something I saw on a favourite blog, I love making something of worth. Of course with these projects, I set out to make something on purpose. But what about the day to day things we do, where we are creating? I believe we are continuously creating, even if we don't recognise it. Making a meal from raw ingredients is creating. Making up fairy tales to young children is creating.

Creation comes in all shapes and forms. My creations may not be on a grand scale, like my Heavenly Father's (this earth is so beautiful!), but they are mine. I'm grateful to be a woman, and that I have been blessed to create - in all its shapes and sizes. I'm grateful to be a daughter of a loving Heavenly Father who has blessed me with many talents and abilities, to help me find joy in this life. I hope we never put ourselves down for what we think isn't much of a creation. We can all create and there is no right or wrong way to do it!




3 comments:

  1. Lovely thoughts Jessima, thank you!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to create those brownies and then eat them!

    Lovely post Jess. I remember that talk when President Uchtdorf gave it and really enjoyed it! It's a good thing to remember and a good desire to have.
    I'm going to think about things I can spend my time creating!
    I guess it even includes things like creating a clean bathroom by cleaning it, though that's a creating chore I'd do to get it out of the way to allow myself the time to guilt-free create something else :P ...if that makes sense :P
    xo

    ReplyDelete