Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Everyone has a story...

I came across a show on BYUtv sometime last year that I've taken to watching online when I get a moment.  It's called 'The Story Trek' and you can check it out here.

I. Love. This. Show.

The premise behind the show is that everyone has a story worth telling.  It's a little show and the budget's obviously not huge, but in a nutshell Todd the presenter takes his crew to various towns/cities, and then they start door knocking until they find people willing to let them in and be interviewed for the show.  I imagine sometimes it takes a while, but these stories, well, they're wonderful.

Even more than the individual stories and the actual show though, I love the idea behind the show. Because I have long believed (and thanks for backing me up here Todd) that there is something interesting, and special and, well time-worthy in everyone. If you just take the time to look.

During my film degree I definitely found myself leaning more towards the academic side of the curriculum than to the practical side.  But my very favourite of the practical stuff was the personal documentary genre.  Somewhat randomly, the National Film Board of Canada has a really wonderful reputation (and I'd suspect quite a healthy budget) for having produced some remarkable documentaries over the decades, and they really have this personal doco thing down.  I remember watching films on all sorts of wonderful 'unremarkable' people from train track cleaners to marching girls, and I think that's when I first fell in love with this style of production.  Because so many of them were people that you would probably never have looked twice at.  They lived 'small' lives, but when you got to spend an hour with them, well, you realized just how interesting they were, and you couldn't help but feel a little sad that the people you saw walking past them on the streets didn't seem to see it.

Without a doubt, my favourite part of the job I have today is interviewing people.  Especially if the video we're making gives me a little leeway to spend some time portraying who they are and what their lives are like.  Because honestly, people are divine.  And spending time with people, and seeing them (really seeing them) is about all the testimony I need to know that we really are children of a magnificent God.  

If it was a little more socially acceptable to walk up to strangers and start questioning them about the intimate details of their lives, I'd probably spend a fair amount of time doing just that.  BUT, since it's not, I find it helpful to remember as I walk through the grocery store, or sit on a bus, or find myself waiting in a line or being surrounded by a crowd, that each and every one of these people are gems.  Even the ones who maybe aren't doing the things they should be doing. They're amazing, and if I could get to know them, (really know them), there'd doubtless be something about them that would inspire me to be a little better myself.



So a smile, a nod, an impromptu conversation, or at least a general feeling of goodwill, is always worth out time :)

xo Tammy

11 comments:

  1. I LOVE this so much!!! I want you to go and interview some people so you can share their stories!!! What a wonderful idea :) I love it when I end up chatting to random people in shopping lines or when you're both waiting for something or wondering what's going on. And the more you get to know people, the more you (almost always?! :)) love them!! :) Love this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to tick the little box that says 'I strongly agree' :) I've always had exactly your experience and thoughts. Everyone has something special about them to share with others. I've never met a person that I couldn't learn or take an example from. I think having the opportunity to get to know an individual and their story, and to feel and make a connection with them is one of the most memorable and enduringly wonderful experiences available to us in life :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you instilled that in me. Thank you mum :) xo

      Delete
  3. I love this too Tammy :)!! That is one of the reasons why I LOVE traveling so much - when you're in a foreign country it just seems so much more acceptable to spark up conversations and then hear peoples stories! When Chad and I were in the Middle East last year I was fascinated with the women and every chance I had I would talk to them about any and everything!! When my babies are not so little, I would love to do a degree in Women Studies, and just travel the world interviewing women from all different walks of life :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felicity! That sounds like it would be wonderful! Hope I can visit the middle east one day!
      xo

      Delete
  4. Lovely thought Tam :) and also you need to be a writer - you write so well! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Lauren :) if you think of any good novel plots, let me know! Lol!
      xo
      Ps. Pretty sure your dad thinks I 'am' a writer... :)

      Delete
    2. I had this idea about a vampire and a wizard that I reckon could go the distance...

      Delete
  5. I like this thought :)
    Often when I hear people (maybe I wasn't meant to overhear?) making negative comments about a particular person on the street who looks a bit the worse for wear and has broken, yellow teeth or something like that I immediately feel defensive of the person. I want to say something like "Hey, you can't judge! You don't know anything about that person. Maybe after having some experiences in life you could walk along the street looking like that too. You don't know their heart or situation."
    I hate the idea of judgements based on looks etc. You're right, every person is a gem and if we just bother to look I'm sure we can easily find it.


    ....except Hitler. I still don't like him. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethy, you crack me up. But yes, I think you've found the loophole to my theory: Hitler.

      Delete